Saturday 11 July 2009

A Summer Saturday

It looks as though our lovely heatwave really has come to an untimely end. I am quite keen on hot weather although I know some of you are not so enamoured with it. I heard recently that it takes our bodies 3 weeks to adjust to hot temperatures, at that rate we very rarely have the opportunity to get used to it.

Anyway, enough about the weather. I was working until about 2.15 today, after which we went to look at bathroom suites available for DIY fitting. My son is training to be a plumber and he is hopefully going to fit it for us with the supervision of someone we know who has more experience. It should be an interesting exercise.

On the news front, it was quite interesting to hear Barack Obama's speeches in Ghana today. He was obviously quite touched by the fact that his ancestors came from Africa and he encouraged the Ghanians to take control of their future and destinies. It was quite stirring stuff, especially during this prolonged recession which is set to have more of a lasting impact on the third world countries rather than the more affluent Western world.

Back to more local issues, Summer is the time of year when roadworks are carried out more widely. We are due to have some roadworks in our road starting on Monday, I haven't checked to see how long they anticipate them lasting. I will have to allow more time if I am travelling in that direction in the course of my work or other appointments. It would be interesting to know how much it costs our local economy in terms of increased costs to businesses due to travelling delays, after all time is money, as they say. I haven't checked to see how many roadworks are taking place in the Eastbourne area at the moment, perhaps you have them in your locality?Don't forget to allow extra time for travelling if you have to negotiate them, it may save road rage and frustration.

I do hope that the warmer and sunnier weather returns for when the schools finish their term in just over a week from now. We are planning to have a short holiday break a little distance away on the South coast. I think many people are having holidays which don't involve travelling abroad this year. If I was to make a list of the places I have never been to in the British Isles it would be a very lengthy one! There are even quite a lot of places even close to home which I have not explored thoroughly. Remember, if we visit places in our own vicinity we are helping local traders and businesses which is helpful to our own national economic recovery. A lot of the local concerns rely quite heavily on the holiday, tourist and leisure custom they receive.

For those of you on holiday, either local residents or visiting from elsewhere, enjoy the break and I hope you benefit greatly from the change and rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment